Monday, September 20, 2010

My Bucket List

I just turned 30 – and while I’m not all that sad about it (anymore) – I have been thinking of making my own bucket list of things that I’d like to do in my life in next 7 -10 years.

  1. Learn the art of pickle making – Someone mentioned recently and I couldn’t agree more – that this is one of those Indian traditions that should be passed across generations
  2. Learn to knit and sew – My grand mom used to be a champion at this one. While my mom never took to it, she championed the art of sewing (which I think is even more tough) – so I don’t think will manage the time to champion either – I do want to knit and sew atleast 1-2 things for my husband and children
  3. Learn to play the Dholki – this one is fast becoming a strong desire – have come to realize the sheer pleasure I feel singing Punjabi wedding songs - can’t help but think how much more enjoyable it would be if I knew how to play the Dholki too.
  4. Champion homemade Indian savouries – I made a start at this one by making samosas at home yesterday as a perfect accompaniment to the rainy weather. And I have to admit, that I was overjoyed – firstly to have attempted them and secondly to have learnt something from my mother in law that I was truly proud of. So what should I try next – any suggestions anyone?
  5. Champion the art of making Indian sweets – My mom is already proud of the suji halwa I make – I have to admit I love it too. Have tried Kheer once but need to take it to the level of my mom. Gajar Halwa, Dal Halwa, Mom’s Besan Burfi, Besan Laddu, G-Jams, Sandesh, Bhua’s naan khataaii – so many more to try. OMG – this just seems to be the impact of having a family that doesn’t cook eggs in the house and doesn’t enjoy western puddings and pies!! Someday, I shall make them enjoy brownie pudding and cakes too – that actually should be a separate item on this list ;)
  6. Travel – Have a separate list of the places I want to see by the time I am forty – and dear husband is petrified. For those of you who thought I only think food – travel is one of the other things I enjoy equally. Leh-Ladhakh, Kashmir, Kerala (with the husband this time), Rajasthan, New Zealand, California, Greece, Maldives, Switzerland– just went through my previous post on my travel wish list – happy to see 3 of the 12 places are already done J therefore, took the liberty of adding a few more – now that life is different with the husband for company – the more the merrier!!
  7. Paint – Recently participated in a tile painting event in Goa – and have never felt more creatively challenged!! I needed hubby to trace a pattern for me which I could paint in – took me back to the time when mom used to draw something for me and I used to colour inside!! Ghosh!! I admire people who paint well. And my ambition is not to really be an expert or create master pieces – but my brief attempts at it two years back gave me immense pleasure which I want to experience more often.

I do these and then think of more..

No comments: