Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ye Hai Bombay, Ye Hai Bombay...

I don't like to address the city as Mumbai, and thats one of the very very few things I dislike about the city. It has its paucity for space, but the city is undoubtedly one of my favourite cities in India - the thought of visiting Bombay always excites me. I did happen to do my post graduation from there - and that was where the love affair started (with the city, people!!!!).

The sense of safety that I feel to begin with while walking on the road, be it 2 PM or 2 AM. Its such a relief to not have people stare at you whether you walk with or without exposing any part of your body.

The taxis - Being from Delhi - they are so much of a relief - abundant and economical. Some of them even have music and blue lights.

The buses - even though I met with an accident while on one, they are so disciplined - it actually remains straight while on the road rather than tilting to one side - the BEST

The trains - Took some time of getting used to, and now that I havent lived in the city for almost 5 years, dont think would ever want to get used to them again - but appreciate them for their convenience, reach and speed. Doubt the metro will ever match up.

The food - Be it the Sandwiches (Dheeraj), the jhunka bhakhars, the Aarey Milk (Energy), the mysore masala dosa made on the road, Pav Bhaji (Maruti) or Swati Snacks (YUMMY). I dont really salivate at the paani puri, coz that I think Delhi ranks better in!!!

The choice to drink, eat and dance - phenomenal.

The 1 Re red phone booths - Atleast when I was a student and in times where the mobile phone was not as common, what a boon!!!

How every building has a unique name in that city engraved on the building - Struck me as very unique the first time I visited Bombay

The movies and Theatre - Never fear not getting a ticket. Really enjoy watching the plays there

The People - Simple, humble and helpful!!!!

I love you Bombay.

No comments: