Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Matter Of Taste

This trip has been exceptionally enlightening as far as my food and beverage tastes are concerned. Some of the things I would like to remember for a while:

  1. Raspberries, Cinnamon, mint, lemon, some sugar crushed with cranberry juice, topped with a little soda and garnished with blue berries is by far the most refreshing non alcoholic cocktail I have had.
  2. Fill a glass with ice, pour 30 ml of vodka, add some tomato juice. Add Worcestershire sauce blended with a paste of finely crushed green chillies, garlic, coriander and some salt. Shake in cocktail shaker (yes, I will soon be putting mine to some good use). Pour in fresh glass. Garnish with a slice of lemon and 2 slices of cucumber with crushed pepper. Dad's Bloody Mary's used to be my favourite - Sorry Dad, you have some competition now :) And surprisingly enough, as much as people relate spices with India, this version was rather Australian.
  3. Lamingtons are quite interesting. Its a chocolate vanilla cake - No not vanilla cake with chocolate icing, and not marble cake either. Its a baked vanilla cake, coated with chocolate cake batter and baked again. Topped with freshly grated coconut.
  4. Australia (specifically Paramatta) is the only place I have had Gulab Jamuns with freshly grated coconut powder. Having said that, its also one of the very few places I have had authentic Indian food outside of India.
  5. One of the better ways to enjoy pan cakes: Cinnamon sugar with maple syrup, whipped cream and lemon juice in between two pancakes. So now you know why I would have gained some weight after this trip.
  6. Rocket leaves with balsamic vinegar dressing (i.e. balsamic vinegar with olive oil) is the lightest and yet most pungent salad I have had till date.

Food excites me...I told you so!!

1 comment:

Horn Please OK! said...

And your post once again proves the point I have been making this long - you only go on these "business trips" to have a good time :P

BTW ... that cake in a cake sounds really good !!