Sunday, May 4, 2008

Delhi Devils

I don't mean to sound ungrateful towards the city I have called home for atleast 25 years of my existence, but I just went to the market wearing a pair of shorts, and it just reminded me about the things I hate about Delhi:
  1. The ability of the men in this city to ogle. They really know how to check out every inch, and that too with least amount of shame
  2. The culture to abuse. This, perhaps is not so much a Delhi devil, but a devil within every man - but the dilli men just know how to sound the worst
  3. The lack of safety. Now, it is debatable whether there is actually a lack - but there is a definitely a sense of lacking safety. Why else then would I feel absolutely paranoid coming back post midnight in my own car, while in Mumbai, I would not even think twice before sitting in a cab.
  4. The situation of public transport in the city. If you don't have a car, you are bound to feel helpless. Cabs are unreasonable, and not conveniently available. The auto rickshaws (if they agree to oblige taking you to your destination) will never charge the fare that should be. The buses - you'll barely see any parallel to the road, and if you do manage to get off one, it wont be without some groping.
  5. Buses right now arouse an additional cause pain these days. BRT (Buses increase Rage and Traffic). Its a terrible attempt at whatever the government is trying to do. Having bus stops in the middle of the road, stripping the passenger car space on the road by half and just doubling the time it used to take to get from point A to point B.

No comments: