Sunday, May 4, 2008

Balle Balle - My first destination wedding

In some ways, the Goa trip was a boon for my state of mind. I knew it would be the moment I piled onto mom and dad's invite for this destination wedding. Yes, I piled on - but paid for my own tickets..the thought of the beach, a 5 star accomodation, the much desired holiday and a first for a destination wedding were too much to resist. To top it, I even dragged daddy's namesake into it. Poor thing, kept his word and came inspite of a malfunctioning digestive system. Thanks for coming, A.. you are the hope for regaining my faith in committment :-).
So, while I was to catch my flight from Delhi, the food and beverage meeting kept me in Mumbai, and so I caught a direct flight from there. In a way that was good too - I fulfilled my wish of seeing a new place in the party destination (and did not land up going back to Polly's).
To start with, A and I had this huge caravan, and the event managers waiting for us at the airport. Actually. they were meant to wait for some more Baraati's too, but kudos to budget airlines running late, we got the vehicle to ourselves. And we drove into one of the nicer resort and spas in Goa...into the Mehndi ceremony. Or, even better the mehndi and tatoo ceremony. And who do I see indulging herself..my dear mommy!! She's a darling when it comes to getting excited about such things. And I must say she wasnt far behind in giving Saif competition for expressing her love..except that it wasn't daddy's 'name' but the 'sun' that she got done on her back.
So after the polite hello's and meeting all the aunty's who all knew me because of the wedding songs I sang back at the open house in Delhi, we proceeded to our room. (I must mention, that I have realised that I just enjoy singing at weddings. Pushy mom and I always used to exchange dirty looks when it came to singing at random weddings, but this time, she knew she should not mess with me and memories. She was surprised at the spark I got to that party!). So back in our room, we have this tray of goodies waiting for us with the usual pringles, diet cokes, cola cans,fox candies and the works). That was good impression #1. Then on the bed was this carry bag, bright green with sea creatures on it - with a matching toiletry bag, cap and a sarong inside it. That was good impression #2. Before we experienced anymore, A and I decided to digest only this much at the Arossim Beach. Who said, India did not have clean beaches?
The first evening was where the alcohol started pouring in. (Mom and Dad are rather concerned about me after the continuous intake of alcohol they wintnessed on this trip. Its funny). The usual family performances started. Must admit, haven't seen a more well rehearsed performance from the elderley ladies (as much as I expected the girls side to be baniya-ly conservative, the elder ladies were actually dancing to 'zara zara touch me touch me touch me'). But overall, a well done up event. However, it was the first time I witnessed a performer singing along the actual track in the background. Inspite of which, he managed to get all and sundry on the dance floor, tables and chairs. Anyhow, after wetting my appetite for music and dance A and I again headed to the beach. As much as I may sound old and boring, I actually missed the DJ party that was to follow for the beach that night.
A was a surprise. He is the first person I know who is quiet with a capital Q in a group, but talkative like hell when alone. That was some decent bonding we did that night - though the teetotaller had a tough time trying to get me to talk through the help of some wine. Maybe, I have learnt to 'handle' my drinks :-)
The next morning was the 'sainth' - after a long and luxurious rain shower in the hugest bathroom I have ever stayed at, all dressed in this pink and orange salwar kameez with pink heels go for the breakfast, assuming the function is to start soon after..and of course land up eating breakfast amongst aunties still in their night suits. The function took forever to start, so I decided to make my first public appearance in this halter dress- was I pleased with myself or what??!!?? A had been really nice to me, and I barely gave him the time to himself, much that he had been looking forward to during this trip. So, I decided to be nice in return and accompany him to this place called Martin's corner, which sells the best sea food in Goa apparently ( I wouldnt know considering my opinion on the cuisine). He seemed like he enjoyed the lobster, for me - it was enjoyable to see him enjoy it (and worth missing the illusionist's performance at the hotel) That afternoon nap was the best I had in while, and was all fresh to attend the wedding.
The wedding was different. The Ghadoli came from the Arabian sea, there was a horse at the resort, the baraat went from one lawn to the other with official alcohol on the golf cart, pheras by the sea side and the doli from one residential court to the other (I always wondered during the course of this hospitality project I am doing - the deal with resorts, and why are these golf carts essential for survival - now I know why!!). Honestly, I came back glad that I went to the wedding. Inspite of having not done too much, it was refreshing. And I am certain, am not the only one who feels this way...May the couple live happily ever after.

No comments: