Sunday, June 15, 2008

Memories

Ok, am bored writing this project inception report that I need to mail tonight. I need a break. So am going to pen down (wonder whether that phrase is applicable to Blogs actually!!) something I've been meaning to write for a while.
I often travel with Europeans, and this though has often crossed my mind. What's the big deal if I don't know how to swim, don't go skiing or horse riding, don't enjoy the museums or cathedrals as much, can't play a musical instrument, don't know too many languages. Do these things really impact one's personality. Well, looking at the ones I work with, it does not look like :)
So what could be those little things that really attributed to me. Well, I don't think I remember too much - but have these vivid memories, all of which I felt were special, and more so because I don't see today's kids indulging in similar things. Somewhere, amongst all the other things I am grateful to Momma and Papa for, this list also forms a part:
  • Recording my voice as a child, every year from when I was 2 till I was 6. I recall it being one of things that dad and mom used to do on a leisurely sunday - No, I don't remember it but the tape sounds like it. Its one of my favouritest tapes, and will soon get that converted into a CD.
  • Setting up libraries with a bunch of friends in the garage. I don't think we did for more than 6 months, but it was a fun experience to go down every evening after school - set the folding bed with Archies comics, Panchtantra, Chacha Chowdhary, Famous Fives, Secret Sevens, Hardy Boys, Malory Towers, Noddy and wonder how many more Enid Blytons!! The concept was to collect all our books, rent them to other kids in the colony for some insane amount 25p or something, make a note in the dairy of the name and flat number - Our first experiences at being entrepreneurial.
  • Decorating the garage (yes, that space was put to many uses) on Janamashtami. That used to be another exciting day of the year. Right from the morning, begin with cleaning the garage, mopping the floor to make it sparkle - collect all doll houses to make the jail where Lord Krishan was born - the dolls to represent his parents, the river, the leaves, the swing where he would sit, the prasad to offer to the visitors who came to view the scene in the evening. Am ashamed at not remembering the details. Quite ashamed.
  • News reading in the morning assembly at school. This was especially scary for not the natural public speakers like me. But I remember it being fun. A particular day of the week, every house would read out the news of the week. You could be given to play the compere, the world news, Indian news, Delhi news, school news or the riddles!!! Am gld am putting these things down - they are on the verge of fading away :)
  • The other thing related to school and memories was singing in the school assembly. Our school did not have any prayers or anything - but just 'assembly songs'. These were hindi songs, which if I now read seem meaningful - but at that time, were not too much more than melody. This and singing in the school choir on the annual day was something I probably started in class 3 or 4 and continued untill class 12. Related to singing also were these annual inter house song competitions - the most awaited event for singers like me. And the year we won it when I was vice captain of my house - oh was it fun??? We actually won singing a Telegu song - I till date remember the opening lines - Ghallu Ghallu Ghalu Ghallu Gajala Singarama Tandanani Tana. Oh, how we heard it in the library with my house teacher and wrote down the lyrics. Actually, we won that competition twice in a row - the previous year was a Rajasthani song - something my mom pushes me to sing to her even to this day. In case, it isn't obvious, the competition was meant to be regional songs. I never took part in western music competitions unlike my friends who i met later in life that regularly featured in singing solos in DPS. No wonder we always had a problem with competitions like Bang Club
  • The time I was asked to spell 'Opportunity' in my english period. I thought that was an excellently effective way of correcting spellings. I was in a relatively senior class - 7th or 8th maybe. My english teacher happened to notice in my compositions and essays and tests that I used to spell the word incorrectly. So one day, in the middle of the class, she calls me to the Board and asks me to write the word. I spell it like I usually did - 'Oppurtunity'. And I have not made a mistake after she corrected me that day.
  • Tree plantation on independence day. After the song and dance on stage, the flag hoisting and the parade (not necessarily in that order), there used to be a tree plantation ceremony, where I recall taking part atleast for one of the years. It did feel nice, you know.
  • Attending Prime Minister's rally on Jan 27 as NCC cadets - going for rehearsals as early as 6 AM at the parade ground. Attending the NCC Camp in school in class 8 (where we slept on the floor of our own class room) and celebrated new years eve
  • Painting the canteen bench walls. This is something we did in class 2 - there were these barren spaces below the blue benches outside the school canteen, which we as a class were assigned to paint. Still remember the fighter planes that my childhood crush drew on the wall.

Am sure there are tons of more memories, which I want to capture - if for no one else - myself. I do feel that these smallest of small things are equally important in shaping ones mind and life as are the text books. Have a lot to learn from mom and dad - including how to raise kids.

2 comments:

Ritz said...

This was such a nice walk down memory lane! I had completely forgotten about painting the canteen benches :) But I did remember something else...our puppet shows that my parents were subjected to everytime you visited :) Good times!!

Bee said...

Oh yes, that too.. and so much more..Maybe there will be a sequel to this one ;)