Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The 'Modern' experience

What was meant to be a relaxing second half that I took off to rest my disturbed respitary system thanks to the cold I have, turned out to be quite the opposite. Time off from work activates (at times over-activates) my cookery glands. And therefore, I got this urge to cook something I had at a party last week. But it needed the not usually stocked at home - sun dried tomatoes (which I absolutely love btw). And of course I assumed that weekly offs is something grocery stores (at least the fancy ones, which earn more than the kiraana ones) are doing away with to enhance the level of service and beat the competition. But Hardly. I drove for almost 2 hours before I got to Modern Bazaar in VV. No, its not 2 hours from where I live, but I was looking at closer to home stores, which were complying with their Tuesday weekly offs. Now, I did know that almost all of south Delhi (I think the side falling left of the ring road) is shut on Tuesdays. But the decision to cook had been taken.
And did I make sure that I made the most of my effort? Not only did I pick up 2 cans of what I was looking for, I also bought tons of fancier stuff. And the credit goes completely to the store. I always come out happier (even though with a lighter wallet) of that store. Be it the breads - including bagels and french baguettes btw, the 4-5 brands of olives, jalapenos, sun dried tomatoes, capers, piri piri, hazaar pasta and pizza sauces, all sorts of sauces for mexican cooking, ten varieties of olive oil, ALL types of cheeses and the works that one would get at the nicer grocery stores abroad. The only place where I will get the tetra pack of Splenda instead of sachets and tablets. In fact, we've been looking for some mini table tobasco bottles for a project, and guess where I found it!!! All the perishables brands I got oriented to in the project are also available there (ref : Ocean spray cranberry juice). And guess what - its open seven days a week. I remember being sad when I had heard a couple of years back, that the store got burnt down - Am glad they are back and kicking. And mind you, its not a lavishly spacious place that they operate on - but I have never come out diappointed from there. They even gave me a baguette free for complimenting them on their stock. (I know!!!! Just feeling happy about the smaller pleasures of life :))
On a sidenote, saute some onion in olive oil - add salt, roasemary and basil leaves. To this add sun dried tomatoes and pitted olives (green or black), and boiled potatoes cut in rounds - and you get what I was cooking. And btw, it was worth the effort ;)

1 comment:

London Lee said...

I was surfing the net for some info when i came across yr favourite actor's blog! i tried to read some stuff he wrote but it was way too long for me..then i remembered yr blog..
u seem to be quite regular at this and getting better!

Btw i didnt read the recipe..is it easy? if yes, then i will read it at leisure.

will call u on Sat..i know should not send "facebook" kind of messages on yr blog!