Monday, August 18, 2008

Jai Hind

With all entertainment channels at their patriotic best this weekend, it dawned on me (Its a pity, I need external influence to trigger such thoughts)...How selfless were the people who fought for our country? What did they get in return? Pride and honour? From who? Generations like ours and the ones to follow who don't even know the names of all the martyrs who bled for us. Such immense passion for something you don't even reap the benefits of. Does the mass Indian even value the armed forces...does he even know that in so many countries in the world, every citizen needs to serve in the army for a period of their lives..

And its not just the freedom fighters or the soldiers of the armed forces...August 14 was one of those nightmarish days when our good ol' capital could not handle the downpour, and it took commuters an average of 4-5 hours to return home from work. What did the traffic policeman get by soaking himself in the rain, wading through the water barefeet and controlling traffic. Ok, that's his job and that is what he is paid for - but he is doing a job thats for the welfare of people, and not just himself. How many of us would like to leave the comforts of our homes and do something like that.

Wow.. and here I am torn between my day to day saga of what is wrong in my life. What am I doing thats beyond the influence of my material needs. Can't think of anything. And how many people do I personally know who are....

No comments: