Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wise and Otherwise

The title caught my attention when I picked this book at Cafe Turtle. And was it the best book on short stories that I have read? You bet. I was kind of skeptical buying it because I thought it would be one more of those books written on social causes in an Indian scenario, which I may just not enjoy midway. But I was proved wrong. The book is a compilation of the author's (Sudha Murthy) experiences over the years of her association with the Infosys Foundation. And I haven't read such a simple and well written re-iteration of human values. Definitely wisdom for keeps.

The other book I picked for a friend but read it before gifting it to her was Randy Pausch's last lecture. I saw the video on you tube, which just about ignited a spark because I thought the guy was humourous. Did not quite pay attention to the messages in the lecture. The book however, managed to arouse more interest and was a good read. It wasn't just another 'motivational' speech or talk on achieveing dreams. The messages were so beautifully interwined with the author's personal experiences, that now am actually motivated to buy a copy for myself and mark the meaningful lessons on life. I did wonder on the psyche behind publicising something you want to leave behind for your children, but after reading the book, I guess its a deed well done.

3 comments:

Turtle Wisdom woman said...

Hello, BEE,

I found myself on your blog today... A book I would suggest that you check out is "Turlte Wisdom: Coming Home to Yourself" It can be found on Amazon and also at www.inlightenedsource.com I am the author and I believe in these chance encounters!

Another book that I would recommend to you, if you have children who are special to you, is "Child of Mine, This I Know." It has a wonderful message and can be personalized with your own photos.

Enjoy!
Donna

Turtle Wisdom woman said...

OOps that's "Turtle Wisdom: Coming Home to Yourself"

much success with your blog!
Donna

Bee said...

Thanks Donna for stopping by and for the references. Will check them out.